Here are a few tips and tricks for keeping spam out of your inbox:
- Use Apache SpamAssassin – It’s your first and best line of defence against spam.
- Be careful which companies you give your email address to – companies sometimes sell email lists as an additional revenue generator. Consider setting up email addresses for specific uses: One for shopping, one for banking, and one for family and friends, for example.
- Spammers often use automated tools to scan web pages for email addresses. If you want to include your email address on a web page, write it in a way that only humans can decipher. For example, if your email address is firstname.lastname@example.org, you could write it “papa [at] yourhostpapa dot com.”
- Use a contact form on your website rather than providing your email address.
- If you open a spam message by mistake, do not click any of the links in it. When you click a link in a spam message, the spammer knows the email address they used is legitimate.
- Turn off automatic downloading or display of graphics in HTML emails. Spammers often use linked graphic files to track who opens a message, letting them know the email address they’ve spammed is legitimate and in use.
- Check the privacy settings on your social network sites and either hide your email address or restrict it to a small group of trusted people.
- When filling out web forms, check the options to ensure you don’t receive unwanted promotional emails.
- In your email client, flag spam emails that make it through your spam filters.
- Don’t spam other people! Spamming violates HostPapa’s Terms of Service; if an account is found sending spam, it might be temporarily suspended.
If you need help with your HostPapa account, please open a support ticket from your dashboard.